Residential Services Unit Registration and Accreditation - Queensland


You must apply for registration before you provide residential services in the form of a privately owned boarding house, supported accommodation hostel or aged rental accommodation.

Within six months of registration, you must apply for accreditation. You can apply for three levels of accreditation, though all providers must apply for Level 1 accreditation;

  • Level 1 Accommodation service
  • Level 2 Food service
  • Level 3 Personal care service.

To obtain accreditation, you must show that your residential service meets minimum standards for each accreditation level.

Your application may be as an individual or a corporation.  You may also choose to have an associate operate the service on your behalf.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

To register your residential service, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • not have been declared bankrupt, or been convicted of a disqualifying offence within the last 5 years.

Corporations are only eligible if they have not gone into receivership or liquidation, had an executive declare bankruptcy, or been convicted of a disqualifying offence within the last 5 years.



You only need to register your residential service once, and you do not have to renew it unless your registration is cancelled.


Accreditation is granted for a period of up to three years depending upon the number of accreditation standards met. The higher the number met, the longer the period of accreditation awarded.


Common Fees details for this service in table format.

Type Amount Description
Application $31.00

Accreditation fee for each person who is a resident when you apply

Application $310.25

Registration fee

Application $158.25

To become a registered service provider of a currently registered residential service

Application $39.40 Criminal history check
Renewal $31.00

Renewal of Accreditation for each person who is a resident when you apply


Register as the new service provider of an existing residential service  (also see under Application)

If there is a change of service provider in relation to a registered residential service, notification of the change is required (i.e. the sale of the business or a new partner)

  • complete an Application to become a registered service provider of a currently registered residential service (change of service provider) - form 4
  • provide a money order or cheque for the application fee and the criminal history check fees for each person applying
  • provide proof of identification for each provider and associate involved with the residential service.

Commencement of an associate (including adding or changing) (also see under Application)

An associate can be a person who is employed to manage the day to day operation of the business and who makes decisions on behalf of the service provider.  This person can also be an executive officer of the corporation who is the service provider.  To add or change an associate, you must provide the following within 30 days of the person becoming an associate:

  • complete Notification of commencement of an associate - Form 6
  • provide a money order or cheque for the criminal history check fee for each person on the application
  • provide proof of identification for each provider and associate involved in the residential service
  • lodge the entire application (see the form for lodgement details).

Additional Information

Proof of identification

Acceptable proof of your identity is a certified copy of one of the following: your driver licence, birth certificate or extract, or passport. To certify your proof of identity document, take the original and a photocopy to a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations, solicitor or barrister.  They will certify the copy as true to the original.

About building compliance notices

A building compliance notice can only be obtained by completing an application with your local council. The local council must then issue a building compliance notice, or a non-compliance notice within 20 days of receiving the application. A service provider has 20 business days after receiving the non-compliance notice to appeal the decision. Please note that obtaining a building compliance notice from the local council can take up to 6 months so please organise it as soon as possible.

About our criminal history checks

A criminal history check will be conducted where a date and place of birth has been requested. This includes all individuals, partners, executive officers and associates.

If you have had an application granted by the Residential Services Unit in the last 12 months, it may not be deemed necessary to have another criminal history check completed - providing the criminal history check has the necessary information and is equal to or higher than the check levels required for the new application.

The decision as to whether you will require a criminal history check will be made after an evaluation of your previous criminal history check (if conducted). All clients are required to pay the fee at the time of lodgement. If the Residential Services Unit determines that a criminal history check is not required, the fee will be refunded.

Administering agency

Department of Housing and Public Works

Regulatory Services

Residential Services Unit

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Mailing address: GPO BOX 690
Brisbane, Queensland 4001
Phone: 07 3008 3450
Website: Department of Housing and Public Works (Opens in new window)