Object or Purpose of this legislative Instrument:
The main objects of this Act are as follows:
- to declare particular rights and obligations of residents and scheme operators;
- to promote fair trading practices in operating retirement villages and in supplying services to residents;
- to facilitate the disclosure of information to prospective residents of a retirement village to ensure the rights and obligations of the village residents and scheme operator may be easily understood;
- to encourage the continued growth and viability of the retirement village industry in the State;
- to encourage the adoption of best practice standards by the retirement village industry;
- to provide a clear regulatory framework to ensure certainty for the retirement village industry in planning for future expansion;
- to facilitate participation by residents, who want to be involved, in the affairs of retirement villages;
- to provide processes for resolving disputes between residents and scheme operators.
Scope of this legislative Instrument:
The Act requires retirement village schemes to be registered villages and regulates the operation of such schemes.
The Act prohibits certain persons from promoting, selling or managing retirement villages.
A public register of retirement villages is available by contacting the Residential Services Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone 3008 5824.
The following Subordinate Legislation should be examined:
- Retirement Villages Regulation 2000