The object of the Act is to:
- regulate the activities of second hand dealers and pawnbrokers
- deter crime in the second hand property market, and
- help protect consumers from purchasing stolen property.
The Act requires second hand dealers and pawnbrokers to be licensed and regulates their activities.
The Office of Fair Trading keeps a public register of occupations regulated under the following acts:
- Introduction Agents Act 2001
- Property Agents and Motor Dealers Act 2000
- Second hand Dealers and Pawnbrokers Act 2003
- Security Providers Act 1993
- Tourism Services Act 2003
- Travel Agents Act 1988.
You can search the register online for free on the Office of Fair Trading website. A printed licence extract can be obtained by contacting the Office of Fair Trading, there is a fee for this service.
The following Subordinate Legislation should be examined:
- Second hand Dealers and Pawnbrokers Regulation 2004