Tow Truck Licence Holder - Queensland


You require this licence to register a business operating tow trucks at the scene of an accident/incident or police seizure within regulated areas.

You do not require it in the following circumstances:

  • for tow trucks operating outside regulated areas
  • towing other than from the scene of an accident/incident or police seizure.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Class 4 tow trucks holding yard exemption:

Class 4 tow truck operators may apply for an exemption from having a holding yard. For this type of specialized operation, the damaged vehicle being towed (e.g. trucks, large buses and combination vehicles) is mainly towed to the premises of the vehicle owner or a specialised repairer.

An exemption can only be granted to a class 4 tow truck licence holder. If a class 4 tow truck licence holder subsequently acquires any other class of licensed tow truck (other than class 4) then the exemption is void.

An application for exemption must be made in writing to the Manager (Compliance) or Regional Director at your nearest Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre outlining the reasons why an exemption is being requested.

If the application is approved, the original approval letter or a copy of the approval letter must be carried in the tow truck and be produced if requested by an authorised officer. An application for renewal of the exemption must be made annually with renewal notice of the tow truck licence.


This licence will be issued for a period of 12 months.


Common Fees details for this service in table format.

Type Amount Description
Application $403.00

Per tow truck

Application $42.45

CrimTrac fee

Miscellaneous $49.95

Replacement of a licence

Miscellaneous $9.55

Towing Authority Book

Renewal $403.00

Per tow truck

Additional Information

If you are a tow truck licence holder and you acquire the title to any of the vehicles you remove or tow, you may need a special licence. Depending on how you dispose of the vehicles, you may be considered a second hand dealer, motor dealer or motor dealer wrecker, and these activities require a licence.

For further information about these licence products or to obtain an application form, please contact the Office of Fair Trading on 13 74 68 or visit


For legislation and regulation information, visit in new window)

Administering agency

Department of Transport and Main Roads

Customer Services, Safety and Regulation Division

Transport Regulation Branch

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Operating address: Customer Service Centre
Phone: 13 23 80
Website: Department of Transport and Main Roads (Opens in new window)