You will need this approval to construct a dam or interfere with a water course to dam water. Approval can be grant by either:
- a development approval under the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016
- a permit under the Landscape South Australia Act 2019
Approval via development approval is required in the following circumstances:
- the dam wall has a height of more than three metres above the natural surface of the ground and/or where the dam is to have a capacity great than five megalitres;
- a levee or mound is constructed in an area shown in the Development Plan as being subject to flooding; and
- retaining walls are to be constructed which retain a difference in ground levels greater than one metre
Where development approval is not required a Water Allocation Permit and/or Water Affecting Activity Permit must be sought and obtained from the relevant regional Natural Resources Management Board.