Approval to Construct a Dam - South Australia


Persons wishing to interfere with a water course to dam water, or to divert surface run-off to a dam, must obtain Council approval if the dam has a capacity of more than 5 mega litres and/or a wall height exceeding 3 metres, or a retaining wall exceeding 1 metre in height.

Any other dams will require approval from the Department of Water, Land and Biodiversity Conservation.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Once off.


Refer to your local Council


Task Business Structure Resources
Common All Development Application Form - PDF (Opens in new window)

Application process

The paper form 'Information Sheet: Requirements for Dams' is available from the agency.

Administering agency

Adelaide Hills Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Administration Officer

Operating address: 28 Onkaparinga Valley Road
Woodside SA 5244
Mailing address: PO Box 44
Woodside SA 5244
Phone: 0884080400
Fax: 0883897440
Website: (Opens in new window)