Permit for a Water Affecting Activity - Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges - South Australia


You will need this permit to conduct a water affecting activity in Adelaide or the Mount Lofty Ranges.

A water affecting activity is an activity that may negatively impact the health and condition of water resources, ecosystems that depend on water resources, and other water users. Water resources include watercourses, lakes or dams, floodplains, groundwater, springs, wetlands, waterholes and catchment landscapes.

You will need this permit if your proposed activity involves:

  • constructing or enlarging dams or structures to collect or divert water
  • building structures, obstructing or depositing solid materials in a watercourse, lake or floodplain
  • draining or discharging water or brine into a watercourse, lake or well
  • excavating material from a watercourse, lake or floodplain
  • destroying vegetation in a watercourse, lake or floodplain
  • drilling, deepening and back filling wells, bores and groundwater access trenches
  • using effluent or water imported to an area for commercial activities, such as irrigation.

Please contact the agency for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You will need to submit a site plan drawn professionally to scale. Details can be found in the attached document.

Your application will be assessed against the relevant Natural Resources Management Plan.

Please consult the agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


1 year with the possibility of an extension if required.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Lodge Application All $60.00 Permit application fee

Application process


Please lodge your completed application form with:

  • fee payment
  • a copy of the latest Certificate of Title or most recent council rates notice
  • supporting information.

A site inspection may be included as pert of the application process.

Additional information

You will need to apply for your permit at least two months before you intend to undertake the activity.

Administering agency

Hills and Fleurieu Landscape Board

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Policy Officer Water Permits

Hills and Fleurieu Landscape Board

Operating address: Upper Level
Corner Mann and Walker Streets
Mount Barker, South Australia
Operating address: 5 Aldinga Road
Willunga, South Australia 5172
Phone: 08 8735 1134
Phone: 08 8391 7500