Rooming House Proprietors - South Australia


You will need to comply with legislated requirements when operating a rooming house. Rooming houses are residential premises with rooms available for rent, on a commercial basis, for three or more people to live in.

The operator of the rooming house (known as the proprietor) must have a written agreement with the rooming house residents. The written agreement (known as a rooming house agreement) outlines the terms of the agreement between the proprietor and the residents, including:

  • house rules
  • proprietor's obligations
  • resident room maintenance
  • resident's right to peace, comfort and privacy.

Service type

Regulatory Obligation

An obligation defined in law. A business must comply with relevant services.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Rooming House Agreement - PDF (Opens in new window)

Additional information

Proprietors may live in the rooming house and, accordingly, may enter the common areas of the property without giving any notice.

Administering agency

Consumer and Business Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Consumer and Business Services

South Australia
Mailing address: General Post Office Box 1719
Adelaide, South Australia
Phone: 13 18 82