Transportation of Controlled Waste - South Australia


All controlled waste in South Australia must be tracked. Controlled waste is any that can harm human health and the environment if it is not managed properly. It is produced by:

  • industrial or commercial activities
  • medical, nursing, dental, veterinary, pharmaceutical or other related activities
  • activities carried out on or at a laboratory
  • an apparatus for the treatment of sewage.

Controlled waste must be dispatched from an approved consignor to an approved receiving facility under a consignment authority. Approved receiving facilities are licensed to deal with controlled waste under an Environment Authorisation Licence. Approved consignors are producers of controlled waste. Consignment authorities are issued to approved consignors by the approved receiving facility or the agency and can cover multiple loads of controlled waste and remain valid for up to one year.

Each individual consignment of controlled waste must be accompanied by a transport certificate which details the required information about the consignment of controlled waste. Transport certificates are paper or electronic certificates that outline the required information about the consignment of controlled waste, the consignor, transporter and the receiving facility.

Service type

Regulatory Obligation

An obligation defined in law. A business must comply with relevant services.


Administering agency

Environment Protection Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

General Enquiries

Environment Protection Authority

South Australia
Operating address: Level 2
211 Victoria Square
Adelaide, South Australia 5000
Operating address: 11 Helen Street
Mount Gambier, South Australia 5291
Mailing address: GPO BOX 2607
Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Toll Free: 1800 623 445
Phone: 08 8204 2004
Fax: 08 8124 4670
Website: Environment Protection Authority (Opens in new window)