You will require this authorisation to import an animal or restricted material into Tasmania. There are two types of authority:
- General Authority: authorises the importation of animals or restricted material of a class specified in the General Authority in accordance with conditions.
- Special Authority: authorises the person to whom it is issued to import animals or restricted materials of a class specified in the Special Authority in accordance with conditions.
An animal means the following:
- any mammal, bird, fish, shellfish and insect
- any egg, embryo, ova or sperm from the above
- any carcass or part of a carcass from the above.
Restricted material means the following:
- a disease agent
- any animal material declared by the Minister to be restricted material.
It is strongly recommended that you consult the Contact Officer for more information on import requirements before importing any animals or restricted materials into Tasmania.