Demolition Permit - Tasmania


You will require this permit if you intend to perform demolition work on a premises. The owner of premises, or a person authorised in writing by the owner of premises, must apply for a demolition permit to perform permit demolition work, or a stage of permitted demolition work, on the specified premises. This permit is required for demolition work that is considered to be high risk, such as work on a multi-storey commercial building.

An application must:

  • Be made to the relevant permit authority; and
  • Include, or be accompanied by, such information and documentation as is determined by the Director of Building Control.

Applications must be accompanied by:

  • A certificate of likely compliance (permit demolition work) that is in force in respect of the proposed permit building work;
  • The building administration fee payable in respect of the proposed permit demolition work; and
  • Any other fee payable in respect of the application.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Before determining an application for a demolition permit, the permit authority must take into account:

  • The suitability of the premises where the proposed permit demolition work is to be performed;
  • Whether the premises are in or are a hazardous area;
  • Whether all appropriate protection work has been performed in respect of the work;
  • The means of access to the premises and the provision of water and sanitation to those premises;
  • Any relevant requirements of legislation or of a permit, consent or authority in force under any other legislation in respect of those premises;
  • Any other matter that the Director of Building Control determines to be relevant to an application; and
  • Any other matter that the permit authority considers relevant.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Administering agency

Contact the Local Council