Licence to Keep an Accommodation House - Tasmania


You will require this licence if you intend to keep an accommodation house.

An accommodation house is any house or building (or part of a house or building) that provides accommodation for gain as its primary purpose, in which tenants may have access to shared sanitary, lounge, dining and cooking facilities.

It does not include tourist or backpacker accommodation, or accommodation houses licensed, regulated, or registered by any Tasmanian State Government agency.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You will be required to keep an approved register, ensure the accommodation house is kept in a clean and sanitary condition and ensure that building safety and maintenance issues are addressed in compliance with the Building Act 2000 and Building Regulations 2014.


As specified on the licence.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount
Apply Licence All $120.00


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Application for a Licence to Keep an Accommodation House - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1993 TAS

Local law(s) name

Health and Environmental Services By-Law 1 2008

Administering agency

Hobart City Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Hobart City Council

Phone: 03 6238 2711
Fax: 03 6234 7109