You will require this licence if you intend to act as a ship's pilot for a vessel over 35 metres in length within a Tasmanian pilotage area unless you are the holder of a current Marine Pilotage Exemption Certificate. This licence applies for both commercial and recreational vessels.
You may also be eligible for an exemption if your vessel is considered low risk and is:
- Between 35 and 75 metres;
- Not carrying more than 12 passengers;
- Not a cargo carrying vessel;
- Not engaged in towing operations; and
- Not a vessel that has a normal operating speed greater than 25 knots.
Pilotage areas within Tasmanian are defined in the legislation.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.