You will require this lease if you intend to undertake mining or quarrying activities. A mining lease will only be given in relation to the following categories of minerals:
- Category 1: metallic minerals and atomic substances;
- Category 2: coal, peat, lignite, oil shale and coal seam gas;
- Category 3: rock, stone, gravel, sand and clay used in construction, bricks and ceramics; and
- Category 5: industrial minerals, precious stones, semi-precious stones.
Category 4 and 6 minerals come under the production licence.
A mining lease authorises you, or a person contracted by you, to carry out the following activities:
- Carry out mining operations for the specified minerals; and
- Enter or pass over Crown or private land.
This lease does not permit activities on private land without the consent of the owner and occupier of the land, within 100 metres of the surface of any natural lake, dam, reservoir, well, artificial pond, or any substantial dwelling or building. Suitable notice must be given to the landowner before entry.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.