You will be required to comply with this code if you intend to keep pigs. This code sets out the minimum floor area that a pig can be kept in.
This code also sets out the minimum requirements for the welfare of pigs, including those kept under intensive and extensive conditions. It is intended as a guide for those responsible for the welfare and husbandry of pigs.
The basic needs of pigs include, but are not limited to:
- readily accessible food and water to maintain health and vigour
- freedom of movement to stand, stretch and lie down
- light during the daylight hours
- visual contact with other pigs
- protection from and / or rapid diagnosis and correct treatment of injury or disease.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance that may be required.