You will require this registration if you are the owner of a property and intend to personally manage any building works on a Class 1a building. A Class 1a building is either a single dwelling which is a detached house, or one or more attached dwellings which are separated by fire resistant walls.
An owner builder may carry out or supervise the following types of building work:
- new building work, including a new dwelling
- renovations or alterations
- extensions and additions
- removing or altering load bearing walls
- work that may involve a change of use of the premises (e.g. converting a shop into a residence, converting a garage into habitable space such as a bedroom, etc.)
- building garages, carports, and sheds
- constructing swimming pools and pool fences
- building a deck
- constructing certain other structures and or making improvements (e.g. building retaining walls or fences over a certain height)
- demolition work.
Please note that, depending on the nature of your proposed activities, other approvals may also be required. Also, applications to be registered as an owner builder must be made to the Agency by a building surveyor, on behalf of the person intending to be registered as an owner builder.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.