You may require this approval if you intend to register a vehicle that does not comply with relevant vehicle standards or for any other reason requires conditions. The conditions imposed may relate to the use of the vehicle, the area in which the vehicle can be used or any other conditions the Registrar may consider relevant.
The categories of conditional registration are:
- non compliant (not complying with ADR rules)
- club event (vintage / veteran / street rod)
- restricted (limited distance)
- concessional (40 percent rebate if limited specific use)
- special purpose (vehicles constructed primarily for lifting, moving, compressing, rolling or laying of material)
- special interest (only used 52 days per year).
Examples of the types of vehicles which may require conditional registration include:
- ride on lawn mowers
- farm tractors
- agricultural farm bikes
- hydraulic excavators
- log skidders
- dune buggies
- self-propelled golf buggies
- off road recreational motor cycles and other vehicles
- earth moving equipment
- self-propelled sports ground maintenance equipment
- fork lift trucks
- imported rally cars
- vehicles modified for disabled drivers
- all terrain vehicles required to be driven on an a road or used for hire and drive
- cherry pickers
- concrete pumps.
This document provides further information about applying for a Conditional Registration of a Motor Vehicle. Other forms and related documents are available on the Department of State Growth Transport website.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.