Notification requires that you must notify WorkSafe in writing either:
- before operations commence (if operation of an MHF is intended)
- within thirty days if the applicant stores greater than the 10% threshold quantities of dangerous goods
- immediately if the applicant stores greater than 100% of the threshold quantities.
Pending your notification, WorkSafe will determine if the facility is an MHF. If the facility is an MHF WorkSafe will register it as such.
Following registration, the you have 30 months to achieve full safety compliance which includes the licence to operate a major hazard facility. Furthermore, you are also required within 24 months to submit a safety case to WorkSafe for assessment.
If the licensing requirements for a licence to operate an MHF are met, WorkSafe will grant an MHF licence. A licence fee applies. WorkSafe will advise the applicant of the amount.
If the applicant is not granted a licence to operate an MHF then the facility will have to either:
- cease operations
- reduce store of threshold quantities of Schedule 14 materials to under 100%
- if the facility was determined as an MHF to a quantity determined by WorkSafe.