Approval for a Home Based Business - Victoria


You may need this approval if you intend to use your home as a base or the main place of activity for your business. It allows low volume occupations or trades to be situated in a residential environment. There are a variety of restrictions for a home-based business, these include:

  • the number of employees
  • operating times
  • car parking
  • odours
  • limitations of sale-able goods
  • noise limits
  • storage of goods.

Despite the above restrictions, approval may be granted for a home occupation which:

  • allows no more than two people who do not live in the dwelling to work in the business
  • has a floor area not exceeding 100 square metres or one-third of the gross floor area of the dwelling (whichever is lesser)
  • allows no more than one commercial vehicle not exceeding two tonne capacity, with or without a trailer registered to a resident of the dwelling at any one time.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type

Advisory Material

Advisory material provides advice and guidance in undertaking a business.

Eligibility requirements

There should be no more than one employee on site that does not reside within the home. You may need to apply for a planning or building permit if you do not meet all the requirements of the Home Occupation Guidelines or if you are planning on making structural changes to your home.

If you are planning on conducting a Health based business from your home, you are required to contact council's Health Department to discuss the requirements for registration or notification. A council Health inspector will need to visit the premises to ensure all requirements have been met. This will need to take place before your business becomes operational.

You must also consider the impact of your home business will have on your neighbours and surrounding areas.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible council for specific information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Approval for a Home Based Business - Please contact the responsible council for application forms and registration details.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Small Business Information - Please consult the responsible agency for more information.

Additional information

If more than one worker of your home business is not a resident of the dwelling, you will need to apply to the council for a Planning Permit.

Administering agency

Hume City Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Public Health Services Unit

Hume City Council

Operating address: 1079 Pascoe Vale Road
Broadmeadows, Victoria 3047
Mailing address: PO BOX 119
Dallas, Victoria 3047
Phone: 03 9205 2200
Fax: 03 9309 0109
Website: Hume City Council (Opens in new window)