You will require this approval if you intend to manufacture or install electronic recording systems or a electronic work diaries for fatigue-regulated heavy vehicles. The types of businesses who may want to apply for this approval include manufacturers, operators and drivers of fatigue-related heavy vehicles.
A fatigue-regulated heavy vehicle is:
- a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of more than 12 tonnes
- a combination with a GVM of more than 12 tonnes or
- a bus that is fitted to carry more than 12 people including the driver.
An electronic recording system is any electronic system that is used for recording information.
This approval will be granted if the electronic recording system:
- is suitable to be fitted into a fatigue-regulated heavy vehicle
- can show the driver if it is not functioning properly
- is capable of accurately monitoring work and rest hours
- can display all recorded information to the driver
- cannot be altered by the driver
- shows that the information has been sent to the appropriate record keeper.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.