This standard applies to personal flotation devices (PFDs) intended for constant wear to increase the safety of adults (persons with a body mass greater than 41 kg) in situations where a risk of drowning exists. This standard covers devices that are inherently buoyant and those with combined buoyancy.
Compliance may be required by trading and passenger vessel operators, and all occupants of the following vessels are required to wear a specified PFD when aboard, in an open area, and under way:
- power driven vessels up to and including 4.8 metres in length
- off-the-beach sailing yachts
- personal watercraft
- canoes, kayaks and rowing boats
- pedal boats and fun boats
- kite boards and sail boards
- recreational tenders.
Please consult the Victorian Recreational Boating Safety Handbook for a list of compliant personal flotation devices.