Small Owner - Operator (Exempt Sex Work Service Provider) Registration Application - Victoria


You will require this registration if you are a sex-worker, and you intend to operate independently or jointly with one other sex-worker (known as a small owner-operated business). A small owner-operated sex work service businesses (a brothel or escort agency) is exempt from the need to be licensed as sex work service providers provided it is registered with the Authority.

A brothel is any premises used for sex work that is made available by the sex work service provider.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You can only commence operating once you have registered with the Agency and you have been issued with an exemption registration number.

To apply for this registration you must:

  • be at least eighteen years of age
  • be the only sex worker (or one of two) in the business
  • have a local government planning permit if you intend to operate a brothel
  • be of good repute with regard to character, honesty and integrity
  • not have been found guilty or convicted of an indictable offence in the preceding five years (or have an individual associate or body corporate, or a director or secretary which have been convicted)
  • not have had a sex work service provider's licence cancelled within the preceding five years
  • not be insolvent under administration
  • not be a represented person within the meaning of the Guardianship and Administration Act 1986.

You will not be considered exempt if:

  • you have an arrangement with another person who refers clients to your business
  • you refer clients to other sex work not working in your business
  • your brothel / escort agency is associated with another brothel / escort agency.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

If you intend to operate a small brothel you will need to comply with any ongoing planning requirements issued by the relevant local council.


Your registration is valid until you notify the Agency that you no longer wish to be registered.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All There is no fee to register as an exempt sex work service provider.

Act(s) name

Sex Work Act 1994 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Sex Work Regulations 2016 Victoria

Application process


Please lodge your application form, and any associated documents directly with the Agency. You will need to attach to your application form:

  • a copy of a local council planning permit, if applicable
  • a copy of a driver's licence or other identification document with your current address for yourself and any other person who will be working as a sex worker in this business
  • the business address and all telephone numbers used in carrying on the sex work business
  • an Australian Business Number (ABN), if available.

Approval time

The time taken to process an application will vary according to individual applications.

Administering agency

Business Licensing Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.