Licence to Take and Use Water for Irrigation and Water Supply - Grampian Wimmera Mallee (GWM) Water - Victoria


You will require this licence if you intend to take and use water. This water can come from:

  • a waterway (including the Murray River)
  • groundwater
  • a spring, soak or dam
  • any works of an Authority other than recycled water
  • works of a person holding a water licence, a water and sewerage licence or a water headworks licence.

You may only take water if you use it for a prescribed purpose or if you return a proportion of the water to the water system.

This licence may include the authority to enter Crown Land to install and operate works with the purpose of taking and using water. This authority will only be included after consultation with the appropriate Agency.

Amendments of original registration licences may apply, without payment of a registration fee, to amend their licence.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • provide all relevant documentation to the Authority
  • comply with standards and conditions so that they are consistent with the Agency's water objectives
  • pay prescribed fees.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You may be required to meter any water usage at your own cost.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.

Other resources

Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Additional information

In order to access water under this licence, you will also need to operate works. This may involve bore or dam construction and/or the use of pumping equipment.

Administering agency

Victorian Water Industry Association (VicWater)

Rural Water Corporations

Grampian Wimmera Mallee (GWM) Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Grampian Wimmera Mallee (GWM) Water

Rural Water Corporations

Victorian Water Industry Association (VicWater)

Mailing address: PO BOX 481
Horsham, Victoria 3402
Phone: 1300 659 961
Fax: 03 5381 9881
Contact us website: Grampian Wimmera Mallee Water (Opens in new window)