Licence to Trade Water Entitlements - Victoria


You will require this licence if you intend to buy or sell water entitlements or water that is available under a water entitlement. This is the only way of obtaining new or additional water allocations from the Yarra River catchment. Most water catchments are already allocated. If you want to divert water from the Yarra River catchment for commercial or irrigation needs, you will require a Diversion Licence.

You can trade some or all of your licensed water volume one of two ways:

  • Permanently, where the rights to water are transferred to the buyer permanently an the seller relinquishes all future rights of access.
  • Temporarily, where ownership of the licence remains with the original licence holder and temporary access is provided to the purchaser for the traded volumes. Temporary trades are issued on a year by year basis and must renewed by the applicant. At the end of the period, access reverts back to the original licence holder.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Licence to Trade Water Entitlements - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Administering agency

Victorian Water Industry Association (VicWater)

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

General Enquiries

Victorian Water Industry Association (VicWater)

Phone: 03 9639 8868
Website: (Opens in new window)