You will require this licence if you intend to cultivate poppies for commercial or research purposes. Cultivate means sowing, planting, growing, grafting or transplanting poppies / poppy seeds.
A licence for commercial purposes may only be granted for authorised therapeutic use. A commercial licence authorises you to:
- cultivating or possessing alkaloid poppies
- selling or supplying poppy straw to a licensed processor.
A licence for research purposes may be granted for non-therapeutic use, it authorises you to:
- cultivate or possess alkaloid poppies
- conduct analysis on alkaloid poppies
- supply poppy straw to a licensed processor.
An employee of a licence holder is authorised to carry out activities permitted by the licence. The licence holder must give the employee an identification certificate. This certificate must contain following information:
- the employee's name
- a clear photograph
- employee's date of birth
- expiry date of the Identification Certificate
- the licence under which the Identification Certificate is given
- any other prescribed information.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.