You will require this registration if you intend to operate as a Domestic Builder. Domestic Builders are responsible for the construction of residential buildings. They may carry out, manage or arrange to carry out components of domestic building work.
There are three classes of registration for Domestic Builders:
- Unlimited: a Domestic Builder (unlimited) may personally carry out, manage or arrange for subcontractors to carry out all components of domestic building work. They may also examine clients' plans, tender for projects, submit plans to Building Surveyors for approval and organise inspections of building work.
- Manager: a Domestic Builder (manager) may manage or arrange for domestic builders registered in another class to carry out components of domestic building work specified in their Certificate of Registration. They are responsible for engaging only contractors who are registered in the appropriate class and code to carry out the component of building work for which they are engaged.
- Limited: a Domestic Builder (limited) may carry out, manage or arrange to carry out only the components of domestic building work specified in their Certificate of Registration.
There are a range of sub-categories for limited registration covering the following skill areas:
- general concreting
- site works involved in relocating a dwelling
- garage, carport
- door and window replacement / installation
- gates and fences
- external cladding to a home
- sub-floor works
- improvements to roof
- bathroom, kitchen or laundry renovations
- earthworks / excavation
- cabinet-making and joinery
- floor slabs, footings
- retaining walls
- sundry works
- swimming pools
- structural landscaping
- shade structures
You must register with the VBA eToolbox to access the required forms.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information.