Requirement to Install a Grease Trap - Victoria


The majority of food businesses producing trade waste are required to install a grease trap as part of their Trade Waste Agreement with City West Water. A grease trap is a plumbing device that filters the majority of fats, oils and solid food particles out of the wastewater before it enters the sewerage system.

Not having a grease trap may mean you are charged with additional treatment and maintenance fees by City West Water until a grease trap is installed on your property. However, you cannot pay the additional fee instead of installing a grease trap.

Service type

Code of Practice

A code of practice is a set of rules which details how people in a certain industry should behave. A code of practice can be defined as a result of legislation or by industry regulators and bodies.

Other resources

Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Additional information

A licensed plumber must install your grease trap in accordance with our connection requirements.

Administering agency

Victorian Water Industry Association (VicWater)

Metropolitan Water Corporations

City West Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Trade Waste Team

City West Water

Metropolitan Water Corporations

Victorian Water Industry Association (VicWater)

Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 350
Sunshine, Victoria 3020