Trade Waste Application - Greater Western Water - Victoria


You will require this licence if you run an industry, business, trade or manufacturing process that creates trade waste. Trade waste is liquid waste from commercial and industrial operations that contains chemicals, grease, oils, fats and other solid particles that can cause issues if discharged into the sewer system. Trade waste can come from commercial and industrial businesses.

Commercial or minor trade waste originates in businesses that are likely to have grease or oil or food substances contained in their waste, including:

  • restaurants, bakeries and cafes
  • butchers and delicatessens
  • supermarkets
  • hospitals, nursing homes and hotels.

Industrial or major trade waste originates in businesses that are high-risk due to waste nature and/or volume, including:

  • mechanical workshops and auto-wreckers
  • chemical laboratories
  • paint shops
  • dry cleaners
  • radiology clinics
  • manufacturing plants.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Some non-residential customers who discharge trade waste do so as such a low level of risk that they do not warrant a Trade Waste Agreement. If you discharge trade waste but it is of a small quantity or it is of a similar nature to domestic sewage you will not require this licence.

The Agency has the right to determine whether your are exempt or not and to change your classification in response to a change in circumstances or new information.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please see the attached document for information on fees to be submitted with your application.

Apply Application All

Application fees range from $81.82 to $2261.88. Fees for 2021-22

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Pricing Handbook 2021-22 - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Water (Trade Waste) Regulations 2014 Victoria

Administering agency

Greater Western Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Greater Western Water

Operating address: 36 Macedon St, Sunbury VIC 3429
Phone: 13 44 99
Website: Greater Western Water (Opens in new window)