Works Approval - Victoria


You will require this approval if you intend to conduct an activity that will create waste that is potentially harmful to the environment. Before prescribed industry or process sites are established or modified, you must have a works approval from the Environment Protection Authority (EPA), unless specifically exempted in the regulations, or an EPA approval has been obtained for research, development or demonstration purposes.

Some of the types of business premises that may be required to have a works approval include:

  • waste treatment, disposal and recycling
  • primary industry and allied operations
  • mining
  • animal derived by-products and food
  • textiles
  • wood and wood derivatives
  • chemicals (including petroleum)
  • non-metallic minerals
  • metals and engineering
  • printing
  • utilities.

If you intend to discharge waste to surface or ground water, or discharge waste to the environment you will also need an approval. Other types of businesses may also be required to have a works approval.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the approval.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Application for a Works Approval - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Act(s) name

Environment Protection Act 1970 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Environment Protection (Fees) Regulations 2012 Victoria

Environment Protection (Scheduled Premises and Exemptions) Regulations 2017 Victoria

Application process


Please submit your application form, along with any supporting documentation, directly to the Agency. All applications must be submitted in quadruplicate (1 original and 3 copies) and include:

  • A fee if applicable;
  • A Certificate of Incorporation, Business Name certificate or Registered Plan where applicable;
  • Plans and specifications of the works and design calculations for all control equipment;
  • An A4 site plan indicating discharge points where applicable. For storage / treatment facilities the plan should indicate the site layout and any other relevant information; and
  • Supporting technical information (if this information exceeds 10 pages please include a summary).

Approval time

Approximately 3 months.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Environment Protection Authority Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Licensing Officer

Environment Protection Authority Victoria

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Operating address: 200 Victoria Street
Carlton, Victoria 3053
Mailing address: GPO BOX 4395
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Phone: 1300 372 842
Fax: 03 9695 2610
Website: Environment Protection Authority Victoria (Opens in new window)