Permit to Conduct an Event on Public Land - Victoria


You will require this permit if you intend to conduct an event or gathering on public land. Public land includes roads, reserves and parks.

To hold an event on a road, you must apply to the appropriate authority. If your event only impacts upon local roads, please contact your local council for permission. If your event impacts upon any major road or freeway, then you will need to contact VicRoads for permission. In either case, you must notify Victoria Police of the upcoming event.

Events can cover (but are not limited to):

  • circus
  • carnival
  • festival
  • street party
  • or similar.

This permit also covers special events in areas in which your local Council's planning scheme does not allow.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the responsible council for more information regarding eligibility requirements. Please note that you will be required to have adequate public liability insurance ($10 million minimum).

If you intend to erect structures for your event, you may require other permits. A liquor licence will be required if liquor is to be consumed.


As specified on the permit.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Amount Description
Apply Application -

For all other events, please consult the responsible council for specific information on fees to be submitted with your application.

Apply Application $235.00

Permit to erect a marquee by a business, you may also be required to pay a site fee of $66. Fees for 2017-18.

Apply Application $129.50

Residential street parties. Fees for 2017-18.

Apply Application $844.50

Carnivals on council land. Fees for 2017-18.


Task Resources
Apply Street Party Application - Please contact the responsible council for application forms and registration details.
Apply Permit to Conduct an Organised Gathering/Event of People on Public Land or Roads - Please contact the responsible council for application forms and registration details.
Apply Application to Conduct a Non-Road Activity on a Highway (Opens in new window)
Apply Application to Conduct Races Under the Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations (Opens in new window)
Apply Occupy Council Controlled Land - PDF (Opens in new window)

Other resources

Task Resources
Apply VicRoads - Events Application Checklist (Opens in new window)
Comply Guidelines for Public Events Conducted on Council Land in the City of Boroondara - Please contact the responsible council for application forms and registration details.

Administering agency

City of Boroondara

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Local Laws Officer

City of Boroondara

Operating address: 8 Inglesby Road
Camberwell, Victoria 3124
Mailing address: Private Bag 1
Victoria 3124
Phone: 03 9278 4444
Fax: 03 9278 4466