Approval to Erect a Commercial Advertising Sign on a Road or Highway - Western Australia


You will require this approval if you intend to place, construct or exhibit a hoarding or other advertising structure, including a sign, on or in the vicinity of a highway, main road or part of a road subject to a control of access declaration.

Control of access refers to a road or part of a road that is only intended for use by prescribed traffic and may only be entered or exited at specified places. This includes a sign inside a building on your premises, if the sign is primarily directed at drivers or if the sign is lighted by artificial light.

Approval is not required in all circumstances, including:

  • a for sale or for lease sign that is no greater than 1 square metre in area
  • a sign affixed to a building on a premises indicating the name, or the name and the business of the occupier of the premises that does not exceed 0.4 square metres in area
  • a sign that is erected on a place between the boundary of a road and the building line of a premises that indicates the name, or the name and the business of the occupier of the premises.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval you must:

  • obtain any relevant approvals from the relevant local council
  • submit the relevant form along with any other information requested by the Agency
  • pay any required fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Act(s) name

Main Roads Act 1930 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Main Roads (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1996 Western Australia

Approval time

Approximately 10 to 15 working days. However, the Agency can usually make special arrangements for urgent applications.

Administering agency

Main Roads Western Australia

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Head Office

Main Roads Western Australia

Operating address: Waterloo Crescent
East Perth, Western Australia 6004
Mailing address: PO BOX 6202
East Perth, Western Australia 6892
Phone: 13 81 38
Website: Main Roads Western Australia (Opens in new window)