You will be required to comply with this standard if people in your workplace are using respiratory protective equipment to avoid exposure to a toxic atmosphere. The respiratory protective equipment must be selected in accordance with this standard.
A toxic atmosphere includes:
- an oxygen deficient atmosphere
- an atmosphere in which the level of toxic gases or vapours exceeds the capability of an air-purifying device
- an toxic atmosphere where the level of contamination is not known
- a toxic atmosphere in which the person is required to remain for a period longer than the estimated life of a filter
- an atmosphere that presents an immediate danger to life or health; or a toxic atmosphere which contains a contaminant against which there is no suitable filter.
This standard sets out the principles of respiratory protections and has requirements and recommendations for the selection, use and maintenance of personal respiratory protective equipment in the workplace.
The version of the standard you must comply with is AS / NZS 1715:2009 Selection, use and maintenance of respiratory protective equipment.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance that may be required.