You will need to comply with this standard if you are an employer, main contractor or self-employed person and need to select respiratory protective equipment for people who may be exposed to a toxic atmosphere at a workplace. Toxic atmospheres include:
- an oxygen deficient atmosphere
- an atmosphere in which the level of toxic gases or vapours exceeds the capability of an air-purifying device
- an toxic atmosphere where the level of contamination is not known
- a toxic atmosphere in which the person is required to remain for a period longer than the estimated life of a filter
- an atmosphere that presents an immediate danger to life or health; or a toxic atmosphere which contains a contaminant against which there is no suitable filter.
This standard sets out requirements and guidelines for respiratory protection. Includes discussion of respiratory hazards, the assessment of associated risks and various methods of control including the use of respiratory protective equipment (RPE).