Explosive Manufacture (Mobile Processing Unit) Licence - Western Australia


You will need an explosive manufacture (mobile processing unit) licence if you are a prime contractor and intend to transport a constituent of a bulk Ammonium Nitrate (AN) based explosive in a mobile processing unit (MPU) on a road or in a mine. Bulk AN-based explosives consist mainly of ammonium nitrate, which are not packaged in the form of a cartridge, plug or stick. Holding this licence does not require you to hold an Explosive Manufacture Licence.

There is no limit on the number of MPUs that may be included for this licence, although each vehicle must be a complying MPU. This licence will also authorise you supply a limited amount of explosives to another person without the need to obtain an Explosive Supply Licence provided certain requirements are met.

Please note that the Agency strongly advise you to contact an approved consultant and work with them to have your application developed. The consultant may lodge your application on your behalf.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • hold a current Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card (DGSC)
  • demonstrate the conduct of a business that involves the operation of explosives mixing vehicles
  • develop and be able to apply an Explosive Management Plan (EMP) including a security plan.

In addition, if you are a partnership or corporation you must also provide the following documentation:

  • evidence that at least one individual who is involved in the management of, or employed by the body, holds a current Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card or a mutually recognised security clearance and is responsible for the safety and security of the explosives covered by the licence
  • evidence of the existence of a partnership or body corporate.



Five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $931.00 Annual fee for trading licence.

Other resources

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Resources Safety

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Dangerous Goods Licensing

Resources Safety

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Phone: 08 6251 2300
Email: cso@dmirs.wa.gov.au
Website: Dangerous Goods (Opens in new window)