Offshore Exploration Permit - Western Australia


You will need this permit if you intend to explore for petroleum in an offshore area. Exploring for petroleum includes conducting a geophysical survey for use in the search of petroleum.

The agency will periodically invite applications for petroleum exploration. Blocks of territory (acreage) are generally released for competitive bids twice a year. You may make a bid for up to 400 blocks of territory at any one time.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must:

  • satisfy the Agency that you and your employees hold appropriate technical qualifications
  • satisfy the Agency that you possess adequate financial resources and technical expertise
  • satisfy the Agency that you will continue to have access to sufficient resources to meet the requirements of the proposed work program
  • satisfy the Agency that your consortium will continue to be viable into the future, if you are lodging an application on behalf of a consortium.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Initial term of 6 years. The permit can be renewed for 5 year periods.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $7550.00

Fees for 2021-22

Apply Application All -

Further fees may apply. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Other resources

Act(s) name

Petroleum (Submerged Lands) Act 1982 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Petroleum (Submerged Lands) Regulations 1990 Western Australia

Application process


Forms can be downloaded and submitted online through the Petroleum and Geothermal Register (PGR).

Administering agency

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

General Enquiries


Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Western Australia
Operating address: Mineral House
100 Plain Street
East Perth, Western Australia 6004
Phone: 08 9222 3333
Website: Petroleum (Opens in new window)