Second-Hand Dealer's and Pawnbroker's Licences - Western Australia


You will need a licence if you intend to operate as a pawnbroker or second-hand dealer.

Pawnbrokers lend money to people on the security of their pawned goods and can sell the goods if the loan is not repaid within the agreed duration of the loan.

Second-hand dealers buy, sell, or exchange second-hand goods. Second-hand goods are goods that have already been worn or used and can include:

  • jewellery
  • watches
  • gold
  • silver
  • copper
  • copper alloys
  • audio equipment
  • electrical appliances
  • marine equipment.

You can apply for a licence as a pawnbroker only, second-hand dealer only or both combined.

You will need to apply for a licence:

  • as an individual, but you can hold that licence on behalf of a company or a partnership.
  • for each premises you intend to operate.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be a fit and proper, natural person
  • not be insolvent
  • ensure the adequate management, supervision and control of your business operations.

You must also ensure the adequate safekeeping of pawned goods if you apply for a pawnbroker's licence.


Up to three years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

Act(s) name

Pawnbrokers and Second-hand Dealers Act 1994 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Pawnbrokers and Second-hand Dealers Regulations 1996 Western Australia

Publications Details process


You must advertise your intention to apply for a licence in a newspaper that circulates throughout the State. Your application for this licence must be lodged within 28 days of advertising your notice of intention.

Application process


You will need to provide the following documentation when applying as a sole trader:

  • evidence of age and identity (e.g. birth certificate, passport, or motor driver's licence)
  • overseas police check (if you are an overseas citizen or have lived overseas for a certain amount of time)
  • three passport-sized photographs
  • written evidence of local government approval
  • trading name documentation.

If the licence is to be held on behalf of a company, you will also need to provide a:

  • letter of authority from the company directors authorising your application
  • certificate of incorporation
  • business name registration certificate
  • company extract showing the list of directors.

If the licence is to be held on behalf of a partnership, you will also need to provide a:

  • letter of authority from the partners authorising your application
  • business name registration certificate
  • company extract showing the list of partners.

Lodgement process


Lodge your application in person with the Agency.


This licence is not transferable

Administering agency

WA Police

Police Licensing Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Licensing Services (Second-hand)

Police Licensing Services

WA Police

Western Australia
Operating address: Level 1, Mason Bird Building
303 Sevenoaks Street
Western Australia 6107
Mailing address: Locked Bag 9
East Perth
Western Australia 6892
Phone: 1300 171 011
Fax: 08 9454 1533
Website: Police Licensing Services (Opens in new window)