Before selling or producing food intended for sale from a fixed, mobile or temporary premises (including vans), you are required to notify or register with the appropriate agency. This will be either:
- the local council where your business will be located
- the Department of Health.
The agency that you will need to notify or register with will depend on the location of your business and the type of food you will sell. The Department of Health is the appropriate agency for food businesses related to:
- public hospitals
- dairy (primary production, processing, transportation)
- seafood (primary production or manufacturing of bivalve molluscs)
- food business not within a local government area (Kings Park, Rottnest Island, the State Athletics Stadium, or the WA Basketball Centre).
The relevant local council is the appropriate agency for all other types of food businesses.
If you intend to purchase, establish or operate any kind of food business, please contact the Contact Officer for more information.