Second-hand Dealer's Licence - Western Australia


You will require this licence if you intend to operate as a second hand dealer. A second hand dealer is a person who operates a business that buys, sells, or exchanges second-hand goods. Second-hand goods are items that have already been worn or used.

You may only apply for this licence as an individual, but you can hold that licence on behalf of a company or a partnership. Please note that if your company has more than one premise, a separate licence is required for each premise.

Please note that if you deal solely in the following goods you will not require this licence:

  • goods collected under a local government recycling scheme
  • goods (other than jewellery) purchased for the purpose of manufacturing any other article from the goods
  • goods collected for a charitable purpose
  • books, magazines and periodicals
  • boats (but not outboard motors or other marine equipment)
  • ferrous and non-ferrous scrap metals (but not gold or silver)
  • clothing, including footwear
  • furniture, including lamps and light fittings (but not electrical or electronic appliances or moveable heaters)
  • household soft furnishings, including rugs, curtains and manchester
  • household decorative goods, including statues, figurines, paintings, prints and drawings
  • kitchenware, including pots, pans, crockery and cutlery (but not electrical or electronic appliances)
  • motor vehicles and their parts including tyres (but not accessories such as audio equipment, roof racks or lights)
  • mining machinery and parts
  • farming machinery and parts (but not accessories such as audio equipment, electronic monitoring equipment or lights)
  • rags
  • bones
  • cans or glassware, including bottles
  • waste plastic or waste paper materials
  • salvaged building materials including doors, window frames, tiles, bricks and timber
  • white goods in the nature of large domestic electrical equipment, including refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, clothes dryers, ovens and ironing presses (but not portable or camping refrigerators or microwave or microwave/convection ovens)
  • collectables such as stamps, coins, trading cards, dolls, toys and military memorabilia (but not jewellery or watches)
  • goods purchased for babies, such as baby furniture, toys, prams, strollers and vehicle baby seats and capsules
  • goods that have been the subject of a rental agreement
  • pianos
  • vacuum cleaners
  • wheelchairs and similar goods designed to carry physically disabled persons.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • have suitable and secure premises
  • show compliance with Council local laws and State legislation
  • have written evidence from your local council that all relevant approvals for your premises have been obtained
  • have advertised your intention to apply in a state-wide newspaper within the past 28 days and have a copy of that newspaper as evidence
  • provide identification documents as required by the Agency
  • provide a letter of intention stating the type of licence sought and the type of goods being traded
  • be a fit and proper person
  • pay the required fees
  • complete the required forms.

If the licence is to be held on behalf of a company, you will also need to provide a:

  • letter of authority from the company directors authorising your application
  • certificate of incorporation and extract showing list of directors
  • business name registration certificate and extract showing list of directors.

If the licence is to be held on behalf of a partnership, you will also need to provide a:

  • letter of authority from the partners authorising your application
  • company extract showing the list of partners
  • business name registration certificate and extract showing list of partners.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Up to 3 years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees vary depending on individual circumstances. The minimum fee for a new application is $940.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Licensing Information (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Pawnbrokers and Second-hand Dealers Act 1994 WA

Regulation(s) name

Pawnbrokers and Second-hand Dealers Regulations 1996 WA

Lodgement process


Lodge your application in person with the Agency.

Publications Details process


In order to apply you must publish your intention to apply for the licence in a statewide newspaper within the previous 28 days.

Approval time

Approximately 1 week from date of application.

Administering agency

WA Police

Police Licensing Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.


Police Licensing Services

WA Police

Operating address: Level 1, Mason Bird Building
303 Sevenoaks Street
Western Australia 6107
Mailing address: Locked Bag 9
East Perth
Western Australia 6892
Phone: 1300 171 011
Fax: 08 9454 1533
Website: Police Licensing Services (Opens in new window)