You may be required to register with or notify the Council if you intend to use a premises to operate a food business. A food business includes any business, enterprise, or activity that involves either or both of the following:
- the handling of food intended for sale
- the sale of food.
You must register your food business unless it is exempt from registration, in which case you will need to notify the Council of your premises. Exempt businesses include those that:
- are conducted solely for charitable or community purposes and prepare non-potentially hazardous foods or foods that, after being appropriately cooked, are served for immediate consumption
- sell certain packaged food
- provide complimentary drinks in conjunction with another kind of business
- form part of premises registered under the Commonwealth export control legislation.
A premises includes the following:
- any land (whether or not vacant)
- the whole or any part of a building, tent, stall or other structure (whether of a permanent or temporary nature)
- a pontoon
- a vehicle (other than a food transport vehicle while it is engaged in only the transport of food).
Primary production food businesses that do not sell directly to the public do not require this notification or registration.
Please be aware that if your food business undertakes any of the following activities, you will need to apply for state registration instead of this registration:
- preparation of food for patients in a public hospital
- dairy primary production, dairy processing or dairy transport
- primary production of seafood or the manufacturing of seafood if it includes bivalve molluscs
- operate a food business in Kings Park or on Rottnest Island.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.