Liquor Licence - Club - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You will require this licence if operate a club and intend to supply liquor to members and invited guests. This licence is typically for licensed clubs and may only be issued to corporations.

This licence authorises you to sell liquor:

  • In open containers for consumption at the premises;
  • In sealed containers for consumption off the premises; and
  • At licensed times.

Liquor is a substance that can be ingested and contains more than 1.15 per cent of ethanol. Separate licensing requirements may apply for the sale of alcohol on university premises.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must submit:

  • The application form;
  • A copy of constitution and rules of the club and list of financial members;
  • The relevant company extracts;
  • A letter appointing authorised person;
  • The business name registration certificate (a photocopy of receipt may be provided if certificate is not yet issued);
  • Plans of premises;
  • A risk assessment management plan;
  • An executed memorandum of sub-leases (a draft may be provided if sub-lease has not been signed);
  • A letter from the landlord stating no objection to the sale of liquor is required unless provision has been provided for in the sublease;
  • A statutory declaration in relation to any criminal charges, conviction or pecuniary penalties, or undischarged bankruptcy;
  • Consent for Australian Federal Police check;
  • A certificate of incorporation;
  • A defined influential persons form;
  • A citizenship status; and
  • Two character references.

You will need to successfully complete an approved Responsible Service of Alcohol training course. This training is required every 3 years.

Your club must have 200 financial members and be established for the purpose of recreation or for promoting social, religious, political, literary, scientific, artistic, sporting or athletic purposes. Business must be conducted in a manner so not to cause undue disturbance to persons occupying premises in the neighbourhood. Alcohol may only be supplied to members and invited guests, and you are required to provide adequate food at the times liquor is for sale. It is an offence to sell or supply liquor to an intoxicated person or a person under the age of 18 years.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.




Licence expires on 30 November each year.



Renewal costs vary according to the occupancy loading and the times the club is licensed to operate. Minimum cost: $4045; Maximum cost: $30,770

GeneralDuplicate Certificate$26.00



You will also be required to submit a police criminal history check with your application.

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Access Canberra

Act(s) name

Liquor Act 2010 (Australian Capital Territory)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Regulation 2010 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

Enquiries, Liquor Licensing and Permits
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Access Canberra

Mailing address:
General Post Office Box 158
Canberra,Australian Capital Territory,2601


13 22 81


02 6207 4000

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.