Employment Agent Licence - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to operate a business as an employment agency, offering employment placement services to potential employers and staff. Operating duties typically involve providing employment assistance to job seekers and staffing solutions to employers.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

An employment agent licence can be held by an individual or a corporation.

An individual may hold the licence in their own right and trade under their own name, or under a registered business name. Partners of a partnership may hold an employment agent licence if the Agency is satisfied that each person in the partnership is eligible and not disqualified.

To be eligible for a company licence you must ensure:

  • At least one director of the company already holds an individual's licence of the same type prior to the lodging of your application;
  • No director of the corporation is disqualified from obtaining the licence;
  • Your company can meet and maintain the standards and expectations of current legislation regarding the application of this licence;
  • Your company has published a notice of the intention to apply for the licence in a daily Australian Capital Territory newspaper prior to applying for the licence; and
  • Pay the prescribed fee.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


3 years.



$762 apportioned on a monthly or part thereof basis if less than twelve months, with a minimum charge of $68, or $2286 for more than 12 months and up to 3 years.


$762 apportioned on a monthly or part thereof basis if less than twelve months, with a minimum charge of $68, or $2286 for more than 12 months and up to 3 years.



You must lodge your application within 10 business days after the advertisement notice is published in the daily Australian Capital Territory newspaper. Please include a copy of the page on which your notice of intention is published with your application.

To apply for this licence you will need to complete the extensive application package, pay the fees, provide accompanying documentation and undergo a National Police Check.


Please lodge your application and accompanying documentation directly with the administrating agency. The documents that need to be completed and submitted are as followed:

  • Personal particulars form for each director of the company;
  • Statutory declaration for an agent licence for each director of the company;
  • National Police Check from the Australian Federal Police not more than 2 months old for the company as well as each director of the company;
  • Premises particulars;
  • Organisation Particulars;
  • Certified copy of 2 forms of identification, one being photo identification for each director of the company; and
  • An ASIC Company Extract no more than 30 days old.

Approval time

Within 12 weeks.

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Access Canberra

Act(s) name

Agents Act 2003 (Australian Capital Territory)

Regulation(s) name

Agents Regulations 2003 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Access Canberra

Mailing address:
General Post Office Box 158
Canberra,Australian Capital Territory,2601


02 6207 3000


13 22 81

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.