You will require this approval if you intend to undertake building or development work in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). Building or development work includes any construction, alteration, removal or demolition of any new or old building or structure. Building approval is required for most developments to ensure the building complies with building laws and standards. When granted this approval, the appointed building certifier completes the building commencement notice and work can begin. Please be aware that:
- You will require this approval prior to the commencement of construction
- The approval only relates to building work shown on the approved plans under the approval
- You should obtain a development approval, if required, before obtaining this approval
- Exemptions to this approval exist for minor structures and may depend on such things as size, nature and type of work proposed.
If you require temporary access to water for construction purposes or require an alteration to be made to a manhole you may lodge a request with the relevant ACT water authority. Please be aware that you are also required to submit a notification of demolition work for all demolition work that you intend to undertake.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this approval you must comply with the relevant industry and regulatory standards as well as:
- Provide an estimate of the cost of the proposed building work
- Provide one electronic copy of the plans and, if required by the certifier, one paper copy
- Provide management plans for public safety if the project is carried out on, at or near a public space
- Provide a waste management plan if the related works involve the demolition or alteration (other than class 1, 2 or 10a building) of a building
- Provide an asbestos removal control plan if the property was erected before 1985 or if it is a class 1, 2 3 or 4 building
- Provide any associated development approvals and exemption notices
- Appoint a licensed building surveyor as your certifier
- Submit the application form and pay the relevant fees (your certifier will inform you)
- Employ a licensed builder (or become licensed as an owner-builder).
Please note that it is now a requirement for labourers and project builders to undertake an approved course in asbestos awareness. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
The application must be submitted alongside an electronic copy of your plans, as well a paper version, if specified by your certifier.
Environment and Planning Directorate
Planning and Land Authority
Building Act 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)
Building (General) Regulation 2008 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon