You will require this licence if you intend to operate a business that involves buying, selling, exchanging or otherwise dealing in second-hand goods in the Australian Capital Territory. Second-hand goods include, but are not limited to:
- Jewellery that includes gemstones or precious metals;
- Precious metals;
- Sporting and recreational goods other than clothes, shoes or goods sold by the Defence Force;
- Musical instruments;
- Photographic equipment;
- Tools, including tool kits and portable engine powered tools, portable motorised tools, other than tools sold by the Defence Force;
- Certain portable engine tools, portable motorised tools or portable air-powered tools;
- Electrical or electronic goods, including microwave ovens, compact disc readers, compact disc writers and compact disc rewriters, other than refrigerators, washing machines and other whitegoods;
- Computer hardware and computer software;
- Audio cassettes and records (singles and albums);
- Video cassettes, floppy discs, compact (laser-read) discs, digital video discs and other electronic information storage devices;
- Watercraft and parts of watercraft;
- Car radios, car stereos and car sound equipment; and
- Mobile telephones and accessories.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a fit and proper person;
- Submit an application; and
- Pay the required fee.
This licence may be applied for by individuals, partnerships and corporations. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Licence expires on 30 June.
Your completed application must be supported by two (2) forms of personal identification for each individual, partner or executive officer. Please view the application form for details.
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Second-Hand Dealers Act 1906 (Australian Capital Territory)
Second-Hand Dealers Regulation 2002 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon