You will require this licence if you intend to undertake any activity that involves native animals, plants or exotic species. Licences are granted for a variety of purposes, including scientific research, education and commercial trade. Licences may allow you to take, keep, kill, put on public display, sell and import or export native animals, plants or exotic species in the Australian Capital Territory. If your application is successful you will be required to maintain a record of the animals you keep in accordance with the terms of your licence.
Please note that a licence is not required to keep, possess, breed, buy, sell or dispose of species listed on the Exempt List. However, the animals must come from a legal source, and may not be taken, or come from the wild.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- Apply in writing;
- Outline the intended activity requiring a licence;
- Outline the purpose of the activity;
- Show that the intended activity complies with any relevant risk management plan, action plan, native species conservation plan or controlled native species management plan;
- Identify the place where the intended activity is to be carried out; and
- If the activity involves a native species, provide the number of each native species involved in the activity.
In addition you must also provide information regarding your suitability to hold the licence, including Information relating to:
- Any conviction, or guilt, of an offence relating to the environment, plants, animals, land or water resources;
- Any non-compliance in relation to the environment, plants, animals, land or water resources;
- Any refusal of an application for a licence relating to the environment, plants, animals, land or water resources; and
- Any other information relevant to your ability to appropriately carry on an activity in relation to the environment, plants, animals, land or water resources.
If the activity involves keeping an animal, an inspector may need to review the:
- Enclosure type and dimensions;
- Feeding requirements of the species you intend to keep;
- Interior details of enclosure (for example, heating, lighting and ventilation);
- Enclosure furnishings; and
- Hygiene and cleaning procedures.
You will need to demonstrate the benefits to future wildlife management (scientific or educational) of the project before it will be approved; it is recommended that before submission of an application you should discuss your proposed project with the Contact Officer.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
5 years unless sooner suspended or cancelled.
As indicated on the licence.
Fees are listed on the attached document.
Environment and Planning Directorate
Nature Conservation Act 2014 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon