Food Business Registration - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You will require this registration if you intend to operate a business that makes or sells food for human consumption. This includes any premises (such as a restaurant, cafe, home kitchen, farm stall or mobile food vehicle) where food is prepared, manufactured, processed or treated, stored, handled, served and / or supplied for sale.

You will also be required to register your business if you sell food by retail or wholesale. Some food businesses are exempt from registration requirements, these include:

  • Vending machines that only sell non-hazardous foods;
  • Food vans that are registered in another state or territory;
  • Food transport businesses that do not retail food; and
  • A business that sells food in a closed package that is not hazardous.

A food business is also exempt from registration requirements if it handles or sells food and all the food is either:

  • Non-potentially hazardous and not contained in a closed package; or
  • Sold, straight after thorough cooking, for immediate consumption; and
  • The food business handles or sells food during no more than 5 periods a year, and each period when it sells food is no longer than 3 days;

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this registration you must:

  • Provide details about your proposed food business; and
  • Provide details about the design and fit out of the premises proposed to be used for your food business.

Please be aware that there is an ongoing operational requirement for you to appoint a person as the food safety supervisor. To be appointed as a food safety supervisor, they must have completed a course provided by a registered training organisation that has been approved by the chief health officer as an approved food safety training course. You are also required to display your current certificate of registration on the premises.

If you are selling food at a regulated event and you don't have a current food business registration, you will be required to submit the declared event application form. If you have this registration you do not need to submit an application for declared events.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Registrations are issued for 1, 2 and 3 years.



Low risk 1 year.


Medium risk 1 year.


High risk 1 year


Renewal fees are the same cost as the application fees.

Administering agency

Health Directorate
Population Health Division

Act(s) name

Food Act 2001 (Australian Capital Territory)

Regulation(s) name

Food Regulation 2002 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

General Enquiries, Health Protection Service
Health Directorate
Population Health Division

Operating address:
Howard Florey Centenary House
25 Mulley Street
Australian Capital Territory 2611
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 5005
Weston Creek
Australian Capital Territory 2611


02 6205 1700


02 6205 1705

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.