You will require this licence if you are a minor (12-18 years of age) and you intend to own a firearm. This licence may only be issued for category A, B, C and H.
- Category A: an air rifle, rim-fire rifle (other than self-loading), a shotgun, (other than pump action or self-loading) and any shotgun and rim-fire rifle combinations.
- Category B: a muzzle-loading firearm, centre-fire rifle (other than self-loading), and shotgun and centre-fire rifle combinations.
- Category C: is only available to primary producers, people employed or engaged in primary production, or bona fide firearms collectors (subject to certain conditions).
- Category H: pistols are only available to members of pistol clubs, persons employed as firearms dealers, security guards and security agents, or a bona fide firearms collector (subject to certain conditions).
There are two types of firearm licences for minors:
- A minors firearm training licence authorises you to possess and use a firearm under the personal supervision of the holder of a category A, B or C licence, or a person authorised by the Firearms Registrar.
- A minors target pistol training licence authorises you to possess and use a target pistol under the supervision of the holder of a category H firearms licence.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for the application you must:
- Be 12 to 18 years of age
- Have completed all the approved firearms training course
- Be a member of the shooting club
- Be judged to be a fit and proper person by the Agency
- Provide any other document as required
- Pay all relevant application fees.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Category A, B or H.
Not less than 28 days.
Please be aware that your licence may be subject to conditions.
Australian Federal Police
Firearms Act 1996 (Australian Capital Territory)
Firearms Regulation 2008 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon