You will require this licence if you intend to provide energy assessment services as a building assessor. There are two classes of licence for building assessors:
- Class A assessors can undertake assessments from on-site inspections at the location of the building works as well as providing assessments based on the building plan; and
- Class B assessors may only perform assessments of buildings based on the building plan.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- Not be suspended from holding a construction occupation licence in any class;
- Satisfy the registrar that you are able to operate the required software to provide assessment; and
- Not hold a construction occupation licence, in any class, which is currently suspended.
If you are applying for a licence that would allow the provision of a construction service without supervision, then you must:
- Not have been found guilty of an offence that involves fraud or dishonesty; and
- Not have been found guilty of an offence that is punishable by imprisonment for at least 1 year.
For information on the qualifications required for the class of construction occupation you intend to apply to, please refer to the Construction Occupations (Licensing) (Mandatory Qualifications) Declaration. Applicants will need to show they hold adequate professional indemnity insurance to be eligible for a licence. Insurance must provide:
- Indemnity against claims for breach of professional duty as a building assessor; and
- A minimum limit of indemnity of $1,000,000 for a single claim.
If you hold a current equivalent licence in another Australian State or Territory, you may be eligible to apply for this registration under mutual recognition arrangements.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
A licensee must give the registrar written notice of the following events or circumstances:
- If the licensee becomes bankrupt or personally insolvent;
the licensee is found guilty, whether in the ACT or anywhere else, of
an offence that involves fraud, dishonesty or violence, and is
punishable by imprisonment for at least one year; or
- If the licensee is not insured for a construction occupation or occupation class in accordance with the regulation.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding ongoing eligibility requirements.
Duration is the term of the professional indemnity insurance.
As specified on the licence.
Individual in person or postal.
Partnership or Corporation in person or postal.
Partnership or Corporation online.
You will need to:
- Complete the application form and pay any fees;
- Be willing to abide by legislation;
- Provide evidence of the required qualifications or accreditation; and
- Provide evidence of having insurance.
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Construction Occupations (Licensing) Act 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)
Construction Occupations (Licensing) Regulation 2004 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon