Approval for Works on / or Using Public Unleased Land - Australian Capital Territory

Service summary

You will require this approval if you intend to undertake works on or occupy unleased public land. For the purpose of this approval, work on public lands includes:

  • Interference with Territory property
  • Construction work.

It should be noted that your nature strip is considered territory property. While it is your responsibility to undertake simple maintenance tasks associated with your nature strip, such as mowing the grass, you will be required to apply for approval for any intended construction work that will have an impact on the nature strip.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Applications must be submitted fourteen working days prior to commencement of works. If your works will interfere with Territory property, all works to be undertaken will require a temporary traffic management plan which needs to be authorised by Roads ACT prior to works commencing.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Fees are listed on the attached document.

Other resources

Administering agency

Transport Canberra and City Services
Parks and Territory Services Division
City Services

Act(s) name

Public Unleased Land Act 2013 (Australian Capital Territory)

Contact details

Enquiries, Licensing and Compliance
Transport Canberra and City Services
Parks and Territory Services Division
City Services

Operating address:
Macarthur House,
12 Wattle Street
Australian Capital Territory 2601
Mailing address:
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601




02 62075956

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.