Tiwi Land Council Permits - Australian Government

Service summary

You will require a permit if you intend to undertake certain activities on the Tiwi Islands which is classified as Aboriginal land. Tiwi Land extends to the water and resources within the mouth of the streams, creeks and estuaries.

There are two types of permits available; access or resource.

Access permits are required for:

  • Visiting within community boundary;
  • Visiting with access beyond community boundary;
  • Resident within community boundary;
  • Resident with access beyond community boundary; and
  • Media representatives.

Resource permits are required for:

  • Fishing; and
  • Hunting.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult directly with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.



Fees vary depending on the permit and the length of the activity or visit.


Apply Visitors Permit System Opens in a new browser window

Administering agency

Tiwi Land Council

Act(s) name

Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976 (Australian Government)

Contact details

Land Council Operational
Tiwi Land Council

Mailing address:
The Chairman, PO Box 38545
Northern Territory 0821


08 89709373

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.