Northern Land Council Permits - Australian Government

Service summary

You will require a permit if you intend to undertake certain activities on Aboriginal land in the Darwin-Daly-Wagait, West Arnhem, East Arnhem, Katherine, V-R-D, Ngukurr or Borroloola-Barkly regions of the Northern Territory.

This includes entering Aboriginal land for any purpose, entering and visiting a community or travelling through Aboriginal land.

The following permits are available:

  • Work;
  • Transit;
  • Tourist;
  • Recreational fishing;
  • Research;
  • Media.

All people visiting Aboriginal communities for work or other purposes on a short- or long-term basis require a permit, including:

  • Travellers;
  • Tourists;
  • Contractors;
  • Journalists;
  • Hawkers; or
  • Representatives of any group, company agency or government department not covered by statutory permit arrangement.

You do not require a permit to travel on a public road through Aboriginal Land.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



There is no charge for a permit.

However, entry fees apply for some destinations.


Administering agency

Northern Land Council

Act(s) name

Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976 (Australian Government)

Contact details

Permit Officer, Head Office
Northern Land Council

Operating address:
45 Mitchell St
Northern Territory 0800
Mailing address:
GPO Box 1222
Northern Territory 0800


08 89205100

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.